The complete list of López Obrador’s proposals
1. Recognize indigenous and Afro-Mexican peoples as subjects of public law, attending to them preferentially because they are the oldest and, however, the most forgotten inhabitants of Mexico. They will be consulted about works and projects, and will be given legal personality so that they can receive resources from the budget.
2. Right to pension for older adults starting at age 65 and increasing the amount each year; People with disabilities will receive universal support.
3. Scholarships for students from poor families at all levels of schooling.
4. Free universal healthcare.
5. That workers and families can own their homes.
6. Prohibit animal abuse.
7. Prohibit in the national territory the extraction of hydrocarbons through frackingnot granting concessions for open pit mining.
8. Enforce areas with water scarcity and only authorize concessions for domestic use in them.
9. Prohibit the trade of vaping devices and chemical drugs such as fentanyl, severely penalize the crime of extortion of organized crime, as well as the tax crime carried out by “white collar crime” through billing companies.
10. Do not allow the increase in the minimum wage to be less than annual inflation.
11. The minimum salary for full-time basic education teachers, police officers, national guards, soldiers, sailors, doctors and nurses will not be less than what workers affiliated with social security receive.
12. Reverse the pension reforms, both those approved in 1997 and 2007, “because they unfairly affect social security and ISSSTE workers, since they prevent them from retiring with 100% of their salary.” To repair this damage to the workers, as of May 1, 2024, a seed fund of 64,619 million pesos will be created, which will increase little by little, while at the same time what is necessary will be used to compensate the workers. affected by “the anti-labor reforms of the neoliberal period.”
13. Guarantee the right to education and work; When young people are not studying or working, the State must hire them and pay them the equivalent of a minimum wage for a year, while they are trained in workshops, companies or the countryside, “just as the Youth Building the Future program currently operates.”
14. All farmers who cultivate land by planting fruit and timber trees will have “a fair and permanent wage,” as in the Sembrando Vida program; farmers and fishermen will continue to receive support from the Production for Wellbeing program; The Guarantee Prices program will continue. “Let those who feed us eat.”
15. The 18,000 kilometers of railway tracks currently under concession and intended solely for freight transportation will be used for passenger trains. Likewise, the State will be obliged to guarantee the right to internet services, whether with a public company or concessions to private companies. The CFE will be restored to its status as a strategic public company “for the benefit of domestic consumers and the national interest.”
16. The new electoral reform initiative contemplates the reduction of expenses allocated to campaigns and political parties; decrease in the number of councilors in town councils; that the use of excessive electoral bureaucratic structures be avoided; eliminate multi-member candidacies (Congress will be made up of 300 deputies and not 500, and the Senate will be made up of 64 and not 128 senators). Both the councilors and the magistrates of the electoral organizations will be elected by the free, direct and secret vote of the citizens; The number of participants in popular consultations will be reduced from 40% to 30% to make them valid and binding. This will also apply in the case of the revocation of the mandate.
17. Judges, magistrates and ministers of the Judiciary, instead of being proposed by the Executive and appointed by legislators, will be elected directly by the people.
18. To prevent the National Guard from “being corrupted like the old Federal Police”, it is proposed that this institution be part of the Sedena, with strict respect for human rights.
19. Convert republican austerity into state policy; The principle that no public servant of the three powers can earn more than what the President of the Republic legally receives will be rewritten with greater clarity and forcefulness in Article 127 of the Constitution; No privileges or extravagances will be permitted in any of the branches of the Federal Government.
20. Eliminate all onerous and elitist “supposedly autonomous” agencies and agencies.